Friday, May 27, 2005

App Server Platform

I have an idea for the underpinings of a Java app-server platform. I'm referring to the underpinings & process model, not higher level stuff. It involves taking several projects out there and bringing them together:

* IBM's WBI ("Web Intermediaries") development kit. This is mainly centered around HTTP but contains a nice process model for handling requests & responses flexibly.

* A SEDA framework like MINA. Here, there is essentially a thread per stage with buffers interconnecting them. Leads to very high performance systems.

(how would MINA + WBI integrate?)

* Spring for instantiating the whole kit & kaboodle.

On top of this, you could build a servlet engine, mail server, or whatever. That would be a lot of work that I know I wouldn't want to do so I'd do a major refactoring of a good open source one like Tomcat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home